I am happy to announce an upcoming book on C++ /Cx and Metro style app development. This book is currently in the works and will be published by Microsoft Press. I present a brief list of topics that are covered in the book.
1. Windows Runtime, WRL and writing apps using WRL.
2. C++ /Cx and C++ 11 features.
3. XAML and C++ /Cx (includes discussion on XAML plus DirectX)
4. Incorporating C++ AMP in Metro style apps.
5. Building WinRT components using C++ /Cx
6. Unit Testing support for C++ in VS 2011.
C++ 11 is new; C++ /Cx is new and so is WinRT. I am super excited to work on these technologies and author a book. Stay tuned for more!!
I will be tuned in for the entire event. I would encourage all C++ developers to watch the event online, if you cannot make it to Redmond. These are exciting times for C++ developers with Windows 8, XAML and Metro style apps.
It is no longer the programming language you thought it was. It is Modern and focuses on programmer productivity without sacrificing the benefits of runtime efficiency; Welcome to Modern C++ aka C++11.
MSDN has articles welcoming C++ at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh279654(v=vs.110).aspx